Policies and Procedures
Use of the Destin Life Center (DLC) is available to individual members and non-members of Destin United Methodist Church (DUMC). Destin United Methodist Church has developed the following policies and procedures to glorify God and make the most of every opportunity to reach our community for Christ.
- Every person that wishes to use the DLC facilities and/or participate in group fitness classes must read and agree to the following Policies & Procedures, fill out an application for Recreation Membership, sign a release of liability, and pay any applicable fees for participation. Persons under the age of 18 must have a parent complete and sign a release of liability prior to using the DLC. Recreation members must check-in at the Welcome Center prior to each visit.
- Destin UMC and the DLC reserves the right to refuse participation to any individual who willfully does not complete the application process or cooperate with the policies and procedures below.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied at all times by a responsible adult of at least 18 years of age unless prior arrangements are made with the Staff for special programming. Parents are not allowed to leave children unattended in the facility at any time.
- In case of injury, affected participants must report all incidents to the DLC staff and fill out an incident report.
Dress and Behavior
- The Destin Life Center is a place to glorify God and is a ministry of the Destin United Methodist Church. The speech, dress, and conduct of all participants will follow the highest Christian standards.
- Shirts, shoes, and other appropriate apparel must be worn at all times. Slogans, words, or advertising not compatible with Christian principles are not allowed.
- Exercise class and fitness participants must wear a cover-up over sports bras, tights, and/or leotards. The cover-up may be a t-shirt, jogging shorts, walking shorts, or warm-up pants.
- Anyone who chooses not to comply with the dress code will be offered a temporary change of clothing. If he/she refuses to comply at that point, he/she will be asked to leave immediately.
- Alcohol, tobacco, weapons, controlled substances, pets (service animals allowed), or any other ele-ments that will endanger participants or detract from the Christian atmosphere are not allowed in or on the property of the DLC.
- Appropriate food or drinks will only be allowed in designated areas. No rinks or food are allowed near the game tables, exercise rooms, restrooms, or gymnasium. However, bottled water and sport drinks are permitted in the exercise room and on the gymnasium sidelines.
- Shoes are required at all times. Street shoes or black-soled shoes (with the exception of black-soled basketball shoes) are not allowed for athletic activities. Any questionable shoes must be cleared at the Welcome Center.
- No dunking or hanging from goals or nets is allowed.
- Programmed activities will always have priority over free play.
- Nothing may be thrown or kicked from the gym floor to the ceiling or side-walls.
- When large groups of people are using the gym, participants should restrict their game space to one basketball goal or area of the court so that multiple activities can take place.
- No half court shots are allowed, unless they are taken in a full-court DLC-sanctioned game.
- Leave your personal sports balls at home, they will not be allowed in the gym. If you bring one you will be asked to leave it at the Welcome Desk to pick up on your way out of the facility.
- All participants are responsible for cleaning up after themselves, depositing all trash in proper receptacles, and leaving the area they used neat and clean.
- Tables and chairs are not to be rearranged or moved around by anyone except DLC staff. No chairs are to be moved from their designated area.
- Use of the TV and music is to be controlled by and requested through the Welcome Center.
- No credit will be extended for lost money in any vending machine.
- DUMC and the DLC are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Lost & Found items will be kept for two weeks and then donated to local missions.
- Persons under the age of 16 may not use the fitness areas—NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Instruction classes and programmed events take priority over individual workouts.
- Instructions for each machine should be followed (as described on machines).
- Participants should report any equipment breakdown to DLC staff and not try to make repairs.
- Use of any machine is limited to 30 minutes if others are waiting.
- Put all equipment away neatly and wipe off all machines used.
- The Café in the Youth Center is not considered to be a part of the DLC and is to be used only for scheduled activities cleared through the DUMC staff. It is not available for free play times.
- No one under 14 years of age is allowed to use game equipment without adult supervision.
- Do not move or sit on the game tables.
- If large groups are using the DLC a one game rule will be imposed.
Interpretation of policies, procedures, regulations, and rules
- The DLC and DUMC staff and the DLC recreation volunteers will be responsible for interpretation and enforcement of all rules.
- Policies and procedures can be augmented or altered by the DLC or DUMC staff at any time.
- Any situation not specifically covered in this list of priorities will be acted upon if and when the need arises at the discretion of the DLC staff and/or the DUMC Staff.